This week we want to highlight one of our Class Captains and Mijas for our newest class of 2024. We are so blessed to have Erika as part of our Circle de Luz family, and are so lucky to have her be a mentor for our hijas. If you want to find out how you can be part of the lives of our hijas click HERE and send your form in!
I love being a part of Circle de Luz because I get to empower young women to be the best version of themselves, to never stop learning, and to give back to the community. I love that I get to learn right beside them, meet like minded women, and continue emerging myself deeper into this beautiful culture. It also just brings me so much joy to see these young women grow and succeed, and knowing they are going to make such a difference in the community.
One of the most memorable moments I have is when we were waiting on our appointment at a paint studio. We had parked and continued to listen to music as we waited. A song came on, I wish I remembered which one, and two of the young ladies eyes lit up. They immediately asked if they could get out and dance to it, to which I gladly said yes. These two young ladies began dancing bachata beside the car in an empty parking lot with huge grins on their faces. Some of the others joined in while another girl started looking for the next best song. It was a moment that everyone came together.
Something about myself…
– I love coffee and probably drink too much of it in the mornings.
– I have always been fascinated by other cultures especially the Latin culture and Chinese culture. The family dynamics and language really draw my attention.
– I’ve always been active in the community in some form or fashion. When I grow up I want to work with a nonprofit or a foundation where I can channel my passion for helping others.
– I grew up on a farm but have lived in the Charlotte for the last 10 years
– I am more naturally an introvert but find myself closer to the middle of the spectrum than a far left, knowing that sometimes I have to be extrovert and just get out there.
Don’t forget to RSVP to our Mija Recruitment Party happening this July 21st, 2019!