For questions or comments, contact Program Manager, Mary Kathryn Elkins at firstname.lastname@example.org or 704-516-8690.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- Aleigh Acerni, Marketing/Public Relations Chair, is a writer and magazine editor and offers marketing, public relations, and social media guidance and support for Circle de Luz. After being involved as a mija for the class of 2015, she was eager to be more involved and joined the board in July 2013. She and her husband are expecting their first baby in December 2013.
- Anna Freuler, College 101/Alumni Programming Chair, is a graduate of East Carolina University with a B.A. in Psychology. She is a technology/business consultant with Wells Fargo supporting the Retirement line of business. In addition to her involvement with Circle de Luz, she enjoys playing soccer and is a regular participant in the local triathlon circuit. Though a native Charlottean, she now lives in Cornelius, NC.
- Vanessa Garcia, Finance Chair, works in Development and Alumni Relations at Johnson and Wales University. Originally involved with Circle de Luz through our partnership with the Junior League, she joined the board in July of 2013 in order to deepen her involvement. As treasurer she provides strategic financial guidance to the organization as well as help to pursue financial sustainability and IRS compliance. In addition, she serves as a member of the Association of Fundraising Professionals, Symphony Guild of Charlotte and the Council for Advancement and Support of Education.
- Jennifer Geyer, Family Resources Chair, holds a Bachelor’s of Arts Degree in Anthropology with a concentration in Ethnic Studies from Davidson College. She currently works as a Career Pathways Advisor for MeckEd at Garinger High School. Prior to MeckEd, Jennifer served as an AmeriCorps ACCESS member working with immigrants and refugees and as a Resource Center Assistant and College Access Para Todos Coordinator at the Latin American Coalition where she discovered her passion for working with students and helping them attain their goals of higher education. Jennifer is an avid salsa and samba dancer and is a proud member of Rumbao Latin Dance Company and Movimentos de Samba Dance Company.
- Faith Green, Special Projects Chair, was raised in New York City. She is of Puerto Rican descent and now lives in Charlotte, NC with her husband and son. She is the Special Projects Coordinator for Circle de Luz. She organizes the State of the Circle event and any summer or special programming for the hijas. She also helps organize any fundraising for Circle de Luz as well as the annual Thank you Mija event. Faith loves to be a part of Circle de Luz because she understands and can relate to the challenges young latina girls face, not only academically, but also in their personal lives. If she can reach just one girl, and make a difference in their lives, then it will all be worth it to her. Circle de Luz gives her the opportunity to reach several girls. During her free time, she loves to try new restaurants with her husband, and spend time with her four month old son.
- Leslie Johnson, Organizational Impact Chair, is a Senior Vice President at Wells Fargo currently leading a Enterprise Project Management Office. She has been with the company over 30 years and is active in the Charlotte community where she resides. Leslie has been focused on helping kids navigate high school and beyond, first as President of the Vance High School PTO and then as a mentor for the GENTS program which focused on helping at risk male students graduate from high school. After being a program donor to Circle de Luz for the past couple of years, Leslie looks forward to contributing as an active board member.
- Rosie Molinary, Board Chair, is an author, speaker, and educator. She is the author of Beautiful You: A Daily Guide to Radical Self-Acceptance and Hijas Americanas: Beauty, Body Image, and Growing Up Latina. Raised in Columbia, SC, she is of Puerto Rican descent and now lives in Davidson, NC with her husband and son.
- Jocelyn Negron-Rios, Relationships Chair, is an Executive Coordinator for a Charlotte based food company. She is currently working on her undergraduate degree in International Business with an expected graduation date of 2014. Raised in NYC, she is of Puerto Rican descent and now lives in Huntersville, NC with her husband and two young sons. She enjoys spending her free time writing, cooking, reading and traveling. She enjoys spending time with her family and friends and feels honored to be part of such a wonderful organization that allows her to give back to her community and empower the next generation of young Latina leaders.
- Mary Kathryn Elkins, Program Manager, is a mother of two young boys, Nolan and Graham, who loves to run, practice yoga, cook (especially baking!), and read. She attended Davidson College where she earned a Bachelor of Arts in Religion and also has her Certificate in Nonprofit Management from Duke University. She was involved with Circle de Luz as a board member for four years before being hired as the Program Manager and is thrilled to have the opportunity to be a part of an organization as special as Circle de Luz.